Monday, March 24, 2008

Read All Of The BBC Top 100 Reads Part 2

I seem to be nipping through these fairly quickly, so updates will be coming quicker on these. This is one of the tasks that I would like completing for this year. This may be a tad optimistic, after seeing the size of War and Peace in a London bookshop!

Watership Down - Richard Adams - loved it - it was one of the best finds from this list and would recommend anyone to read this tale of rabbit life.
Perfume - Patrick Suskind - a little on the dark side for my usual reads, but still a good story of a man obsessed by smells.
Matilda - Roald Dahl - wonderful tale of a little girl gaining her revenge on a demon headmistress - I love the fact I can read these so quickly!
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - a classic tale of a young girls adventures with weird and wonderful creations - I don't think I will ever tire of reading this one
Double Act - Jacqueline Wilson - my first Jacqueline Wilson read and although the pace of the story was good, found this a bit too cutesy for my tastes
A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens - again another first time author for me and although I managed to read this within a week, still had problems following the storyline - think I will fair better with his better known novels I have to read!
Middlemarch - George Eliot (not pictured)- did not enjoy this one bit - was too much like Jane Austen for me - too much storyline about the comings and goings of victorian life - found it quite boring and struggled to complete it
Memoirs Of A Geisha - Arthur Golden (not pictured) excellent read, depicting life for a geisha girl thrust into this life at a very young age
Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen (not pictured) - I've tried to like this, I really have and every time I go to any literature gathering, it always seems to be everyones favourite book, but I'm afraid it isn't mine. Although I don't doubt that the characters of Elizabeth and Darcy are wonderfully strong, I just don't relate to Austen's warbling about the boring coming and goings of Victorian life (see Middlemarch). It just ain't my bag baby! However, it has to be said that I love to watch any adaption of Austen on tv. I just think it's one of those stories that performs better visually
The Twits - Roald Dahl (not pictured)- Published about the time when I was getting a little too old for his tales, but this one doesn't disappoint at all - I can still remember the worms in the spaghetti!

Currently reading - Clan Of The Cave Bear by Jean Auel

No comments: