Thursday, August 5, 2010

Create A Short Film To Go On To You Tube

I had so many ideas for this that never seemed to get off the ground, but finally I opted for a short documentary on my friend, the actor Phil Lowe. Phil worked as an extra on many shows filmed within the East Midlands and notably was a reoccurring extra for Crossroads, where he uttered the immortal line 'night Chef'. I've known Phil for about 5 years and over the years have heard the stories of his life on set and always thought it would be a good idea to capture them all in one place.


Unfortunately my idea was better than my knowledge of film editing software. I eventually used Muvee, which is a basic editing package that allowed me to gain all the footage I required. What I really wanted to do was to include the pictures of Phil's life as an extra and just have the odd shot of him talking, so on occasions there is the odd shaky bit, as I didn't think these shots would be included. I've got no idea on how to still keep the audio but include the pictures, so if anyone can recommend a better editing software to do this, then please feel free.


So what I have is a very basic film, but I think it encapsulates Phil's stories of life on set - I hope you enjoy it and PS I don't think Shane Meadows has anything to worry about at this moment in time!



7 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Interesting stuff! I enjoyed that!

Tim said...

Well done! I found that really interesting. I hope he does get a big opportunity. He seems like a really nice person.

I can't help you with any video tips as i've never done it before. It is on my list of things to do so let me know when you've mastered it so I can ask for some tips! hehe :)

Janette said...

Cheers guys - just wish my knowledge of editing was better, but hey guess you have to start somewhere!

Phil Lowe said...

hey well done, few little glitches but generally good stuff. Hire that actor!!!

Janette said...

Phil - glad you liked it and yes a few glitches but not bad for a first timer! Just wished I'd known you when you was in Peak Practice!

bikerted said...

Interesting answers to unheard questions JJ. How about a part II and have your (interviewer) input come on screen in print. Also how about a small tripod to stop the camera shake?

Must say I did enjoy Phil's stories even if I haven't seen any of his tv appearences.

Janette said...

Thanks for the comments BT. I guess I always had it in my head that it was more a documentary than an interview and yep would probably have used a tripod if I knew that I would be using the clips in question (I edited out some more serious shakes!)