Tuesday, May 26, 2009

BBC Top 100 Reads Part 7?

I haven't blogged any reviews on the books that I've read for ages. Infact I've gone off the boil for a while on this task and have opted to choose books to read from my tbr pile, than off this list. However, I am determined to try and get this one completed this year - only another 31 books to go!
Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer - I read the graphic novel version of this and a very strange experience it was too. The story of a criminal mastermind boy and his adventures was enough to carry me through to the end, but I think I'll stick with proper books in the future.
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller - was really disappointed with this. It's one of those books that is billed as the great American novel, but the background setting of life in the second world war and the rather strange characters wouldn't encourage me to read this again.
Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks - In contrast to Catch 22, I loved this story of love lost within the back drop of World War 1.
Girls In Love - Jacqueline Wilson -I think this woman is magical and just wish she'd been around when I was younger. This book designed for older readers, tells the tale of a group of friends, all with typical teenage problems.
The Grapes Of Wrath - John Steinbeck - I found this and The Ragged Trousered Philantrhopists - Robert Tressell both quite disturbing in the fact that both deal with people struggle to cope in an economic climate where only the wealthy survive. Perhaps too much rang true to the society that we live in at the moment.
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens - I'm not a big fan of Dickens and think his potrayal of Victorian life, is often too dreary for words. However, if you skip between the over indulgence, this is a truly wonderful story.
I Capture The Castle - Dodie Smith - This is one of the few books, where I prefer the film version. Again this was one that I was quite disappointed in, I expected it to be so much better.
Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck - I adore this book and have read it a few times and seen it numerous times on stage. The tale of two men trying to find their place in the world rings true and is so reminiscent of The Catcher In The Rye.
The Secret History - Donna Tartt - Another book that seems to be on everyone's list and I was quite surprised that I actually liked this one! Very reminiscent of 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' but without the fish hook!
The Shell Seekers - Rosamunde Pilcher - Wonderful tale of one family and how you don't necessarily need to like someone even though you are related.
Vicky Angel - Jacqueline Wilson - Another wonderful tale that deals with friendship and breavement all in one book!
Winnie The Pooh - A A Milne - One of my all time favourite childrens books. Who could fail to love the tales of the bear with no brain and his amazing friends?

4 comments:

Erkut Doru said...

Catch 22 is a great book. It needs to be read again in a years time to get the full flavour. Several of my friends read it. All the ladies found it boring whilst the guys loved it. It may just be a 'bloke' book methinks.

Janette said...

Def. a bloke book!

bikerted said...

And here's me slowly getting through Hemmingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls - three months and counting. Note to myself, must stop reading the bike mags!

Janette said...

Bikerted - I would have given up after the first week, so you are quite brave to try and continue! 'Fraid with me it's usually Marie Claire or Elle that stops me reading anything from my list!